Wrapped

"Some day you too will wander the wooded wastes, wrapped in your own tattered hopes and fears." She said.

"With each step you will feel your bindings tighten their grip." She said.

"With each other step you will feel your bindings falling, tattered, to the forest floor, soiled and left behind." She said.

She shuffled back into the barren trees of winter, white hair and white wrappings fading, and becoming one with the white bark.

As for myself,  I turned my attention back to the Boreal chickadee I had been admiring a little while before; a new species for my life list.

 

30 Characters Challenge: Days 23-30

As of last night, I completed my first time participating in the 30 Character Challenge. When I started, I wanted the use the project as a push to work on my humanoid drawing skills. Well, it was a good thought, but as you can see from this last set, I drifted back to the land of monsters. At any rate, I still think I accomplished what I set out to do even with this lapse in focus. I feel like my skills have improved over the month, and I am more confident in sketching out human forms without references. Also, completely unexpected, I learned how to use the pen tool and as a result, I have taken my first steps into the land of vector illustration. So, all in all, I think it was a good challenge and one that I would be happy to repeat next year and recommend to others looking to push themselves creatively. You can see my full set of characters at the 30 Characters Challenge website.

And thus, with a dapper octopus, the challenge is complete!

MaAH Illustration: Doppin

maah_image4_sketch

Initial digital sketch.

maah_image4_ink1

Beginning to ink the piece digitally.

Doppin

Final image.

Yesterday, P.G. Holyfield released some exciting news about his novel, Murder at Avedon Hill. It's going to be published though Dragon Moon Press.  As a fan of the story (and friend of the author) I couldn't be happier for Patrick. As I've said upon numerous occasions, it's a wonderful story and it deserves any and all recognition it receives. So, big congrats! I can hardly wait for its new release. You can see the official press release here. He also released a special announcement episode, here.

---

I was going to wait to post this image when the corresponding episode of MaAH was released, but with the recent good news, I figured now was as good a time as any.

Patrick asked me a while ago if I would be interested in doing another image for one of the last chapters. I, of course, jumped at the suggestion. The image itself was left open to whatever scene I wanted to do. After refreshing myself on the events of the applicable chapters, I sent a few ideas off to Patrick. From that correspondence we decided on this image (as to prevent any major spoilers of the plot).

For this illustration I decided to do the whole thing digitally. This method worked well for the last MaAH illustration I did, and I thought it would be a good opportunity to expand my digital art skills.

The first image is a rough concept sketch for what I had in mind. That was approved. I then moved on to the inking.  The great thing about working digitally, I found, was that if I made a mistake at any point, I could easily redo or adjust the image. In this case, I found that I had placed the arm in an awkward position.  I also noticed that the eye position was a bit off. So, I just moved everything around a bit until I was satisfied.

For coloring I shaded with sharp lines of different color shades rather than doing a blended shading. The only reason for this was that I hadn't really used that technique much and wanted more experience. Plus, I like the look. I also changed the color of the ink for the spirits from the original black to a light blue. This was done using a clipping mask layer (in Photoshop) under the ink layer. During the coloring of the spirits, I also found they needed more detail, so I added some swirls and additional line details. To get the spirits to look transparent, I filled them with color on a separate layer, then reduced the opacity of the layer.

The hardest part of the coloring, oddly enough, was the background. I was having trouble getting a texture and color that I really liked. After adding several textured layers and tweaking the color settings, I finally found a combination that I liked, while also matching the described scene in the story.